Progress Update: CH II

12 Apr  0 Community

A breeze crept up on the edge of demolition while the sun was still deciding whether it was going to make an appearance from out of the clouds that morning. I had told my wife that our three month old boy, Hank, would need something warm in case it got cold out. She told me she had just the thing. Moments later he was returned to me dressed in a teddy bear outfit. So, three men, Kevin Beshara, Wes Harris, Max Beshara, and a baby dressed like a stuffed animal, Henry Danger Beshara, stood just outside of destruction and fall out. Right on the precipice to where the Colonial House is moving to, most commonly referred to as CH II. The excitement over the front end of the building being torn down had been built up for a period of a couple of weeks. Finally that day was upon us. Now, you may be asking, “Why would you be so excited to watch part of building get torn down?” And to that I would ask, “How the heck would you not be?” We four stood out in the blustery cool morning for about an hour until the owner of the construction company, Kristi Barber, told us, “It would be a little while yet. They had to make some more cuts.” Twenty plus years ago Kevin Beshara set up Kristi with his friend since childhood, Bill Barber. Kristi and Bill got married and run GBA Inc. together. After hearing of the postponement we boys packed up and went back to the original Colonial House were my sister and her two kids, Opal and Buck were waiting for us. We ordered oats, pancakes, and drank coffee to warm up. Grandma Vicky was running the till and would pop over here and there to hold one of the grandchildren and visit. “It’s time!” Someone cried out after reading a text message. Our party of three men and a baby was snowballing. Everyone wanted to be a part of the excitement now. Three men, two women, and three babies scarfed down what was left of breakfast and power walked down to CH II. None of us could bear the idea of missing any part of the action. Again, at the precipice of destruction, adults holding onto babies, watched with glee as a chunk of wall came tumbling down by the jaw of a large golden excavator! HOORAY! The thrill came out of us all at once. We waited for the excavator to throw another punch at the wall for a minute or so. And another minute. And then another minute. Kristi Barber came to our DE-construction cheerleading committee to let us know, “It would be a little while yet. They had to make some more cuts.” We waited a while. The wind picked up. Baby blankets flapped in the wind. No demolition. Noses got slightly runny. Then really runny. No demolition. Pieces of our demolition-viewing-crew started walking back to the original Colonial House to seek refuge from the wind until at last no one was left except Kristi Barber and the workers wearing neon green and hard hats. Not much later, after we had given up on waiting, the entire front end of CH II was on the ground. That just goes to show all good things come with time. Sometimes all you can do is wait.

Comments are closed.